Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 12, 2010

Our family was in town, celebrating the twins' ninth birthday. We were in the Dollar Spot at Target when my cell phone chirped. I couldn't get to it in time, and the next thing I heard was D's phone chirping. I knew it must be important. My dad was calling to inform us of the earthquake that hit Haiti just hours before. Things didn't really register as we hit the toy aisle and began looking for Legos. It wasn't until hours later when we arrived home that I was hit with the severity of the situation.

Everyday life and survival in Haiti are difficult on a good day. Poverty plagues the people of Haiti and every simple task takes much effort and perseverance. Many are without electricity, running water, medical and educational provisions. While there are a few who are very wealthy, most of the eight million plus live in extreme poverty, making Haiti the poorest country in the western hemisphere. To fathom the effects of another natural disaster upon a nation so poor is beyond me.

Added to all that, the most sobering detail of all. Haiti is known as the voodoo capital of the world. Even though missions and churches are spread throughout the country (the size of the state of Maryland), this country is still gripped with the darkness of voodoo. There is a remnant of those who are Christians and who call upon the name of Jesus to set them free, but so many are still entangled in the curses and superstitions of voodoo. We must pray for a deeper revelation of Truth for these dear souls.

I will be using this blog to post prayer requests and needs for the Haitian people and for missions groups that are offering relief. Please let me know if you want to give to one of these groups or if you feel the tug to go and offer your time and heart on a relief team. We can all do something, and I pray that this will be a time when the Body of Christ rises up to be His hands and feet in a dark, dark place.

No comments:

Post a Comment