Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Needs Are Overwhelming

I remember living in Haiti and walking from one end of the mission compound to the other for meals. Three times a day, I had to weave through a throng of people who asked for my shirt, my skirt, my shoes, my Bible...anything that was on me, anything that I carried. I would arrive at the kitchen and see the table spread with our meal and I would feel such guilt. Why was I able to enjoy such bounty when there were thousands of people outside the mission gate who were hungry? I wanted to give them the shirt off my back and the food that was set before me.

However, about three months into my one year stay, I had grown accustomed to the begging and my heart toughened up a bit. I would see visitors come and go and struggle with the same things I did at first, but in order to survive day in and day out, I could not feel that intense need every moment. I didn't want my heart to be calloused, but I also had to find a balance so I could breathe.

Pray for those who are in Haiti day in and day out. Pray that they will have compassion for those who are hurting, and that they will be able to teach them to care for themselves. Haiti does not need to depend on the USA or any other nation. Haiti does not need to depend on the "blancs" to pull them through. Haiti needs to learn to cry out to Jehovah Jireh, their provider. He will meet their every need if they turn to Him. Alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment